North Carolina Drunk Driving Infographic
Posted on November 2016
Over the course of 20 years, North Carolina’s Booze It and Lose It campaign has taken over 1.5 million drunk drivers off our roads. Unfortunately, over 8,000 North Carolinians have still lost their lives to drunk drivers in that time.
The best way to prevent DUIs in our state and around the country is by educating the public and raising awareness about the facts surrounding drunk driving.
National DUI Stats
- 27 Americans die every day in drunk driving accidents
- The average drunk driver will drive impaired more than 80 times before they are arrested
- There are more than 300,000 drunk drivers on the road every day
- Only 3,200 of those are arrested
- 2 out of 3 people will be involved in a drunk driving crash at some point in their lives
North Carolina DUI Stats
- Taxpayers subsidize $1.8 billion of the cost of drunk driving fatalities per year
- 28.8 percent of all traffic deaths in 2015 were the result of a drunk driving accident
- 4,102 people were killed by drunk drivers between 2003 and 2012
- 1.4 percent of people have reported driving after drinking too much within the last 30 days