If you’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident in Charlotte caused by a drunk driver, you’ve got more important things to worry about than finding the right attorney for your personal injury claim. You’ve got your injuries, your livelihood, and your family’s welfare to consider, not to mention repairs to your motorcycle.
The Charlotte motorcycle accident attorneys of DeMayo Law Offices are ready and waiting to take on the work of getting compensation for your injury fast. If you or someone you love has been injured in a motorcycle accident by a drunk driver in Charlotte, call us at (704) 333-1000 today for a free case evaluation and to get justice for your motorcycle accident.
Why Choose DeMayo Law Offices?
For almost 20 years, DeMayo Law Offices has been helping accident victims in Charlotte get the help they need to get their lives back on track after a debilitating injury. With over 100 legal professionals on staff with over 150 years of combined legal experience, DeMayo Law Offices has the skill and experience to get your personal injury claim paid and the knowledge to fight the insurance adjusters in court if your claim is denied. Call us toll-free at (704) 333-1000 and let us show you how we’ve helped over 90,000 clients get compensation for their accidents.
Do I Need an Attorney for My Motorcycle Accident with a Drunk Driver?
Having an experienced attorney assist you in filing your personal injury claim is always going to get you better results than going it alone. Though you can file a claim yourself, a personal injury attorney will be familiar with the claims process from start to finish and knows the pitfalls and common mistakes to avoid.
When you hire DeMayo Law Offices, we will make sure the claim is complete by investigating your accident and providing all the information needed to get a fair settlement offer for your claim as soon as possible. If they refuse to make a fair offer, we can take your case to court to get the compensation you deserve for the damage done to you in the accident.
What Damages Are Available for Drunk Driving Motorcycle Accident Victims?
Motorcycle accident victims are at much higher risk for injury than car drivers due to the lack of crash protection. As such, injuries tend to be more severe for motorcycle riders. Obtaining monetary damages in a settlement or a court award can help relieve the financial burden of dealing with a motorcycle accident.
Initially, in an attempt to prevent having to pay what you’re actually owed, the insurance company will likely offer less than the full and fair amount of compensation you deserve. Having a lawyer on your side can help you maximize the offer. If the insurer still fails to offer you a fair settlement, your attorney will have your case prepared to fight it out in court.
If an insurance company denies your personal injury claim, you can then take them to court and present your case about the amount of compensation you’re owed.
You may be eligible for compensation for these losses after your accident:
- Medical bills
- Continued treatment/rehabilitation
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages
- Future lost earning capacity
If the driver who caused the accident was behaving recklessly or was grossly negligent, as they would be if they were driving drunk, you can also be awarded punitive damages on top of compensation for a personal injury claim. Punitive damages are more difficult to prove. They are designed to punish the behavior that caused the accident, and the amount awarded will vary depending on the circumstances.
Common Injuries from Drunk Driving Motorcycle Accidents
Though riding a motorcycle can be a fun and efficient means of travel, the price of that enjoyment is the risk of injury in an accident. There have been advances in motorcycle safety, like better helmet design and even airbags for bikers, but this equipment can be expensive, and for some riders, the risk while riding is part of the enjoyment. However, when you add drunk drivers to the equation, injuries in a motorcycle accident can be extreme.
Some typical motorcycle accident injuries include:
- Broken bones
- Neck injuries
- Road rash
- Organ damage
- Facial injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injury
Steps to Take After a Motorcycle Accident with a Drunk Driver
If you or a loved one has just been in a motorcycle accident with a drunk driver, it’s important to act quickly. Here are some steps to take immediately following a motorcycle accident:
- Get out of traffic: If you or your loved one is still in the roadway and able to move, try to get clear of traffic as soon as possible. Get to a safe place where you can assess the situation and protect yourself.
- Get medical help: Determine if you have severe injuries, and get emergency medical attention immediately. Even if you don’t think you’ve been seriously injured, make sure and get checked over by qualified personnel to make sure. Some accident injuries, like internal bleeding or organ damage, can take time to manifest.
- Get insurance info: Immediately get the other driver’s insurance information. Take a photo of their proof of insurance and make note of the insurance company and policy number.
- Start gathering evidence: If it’s obvious that the driver who caused the crash was driving drunk, and you weren’t seriously injured, start the process of documenting immediately. Take photos of the crash scene, the motorcycle, the other vehicle, or emergency vehicles on site. If possible, get video evidence of the other driver showing them inebriated. This supporting evidence can help strengthen your personal injury claim.
- Don’t apologize: Avoid speaking to the driver about the circumstances or who was at fault. Even saying you’re sorry for what happened can be construed as admitting fault in an accident, so watch what you say.
Call DeMayo Law Offices for a Free Case Evaluation
If you’ve been injured in a drunk driving motorcycle accident in Charlotte, call DeMayo Law Offices toll-free at (704) 333-1000 today for a free case evaluation. We have staff standing by to assist you, and we can help you get compensation for your injuries and property damage.
DeMayo Law Offices has the experience and knowledge to assist in the process, from filing a claim to taking a case to trial and all steps in between. Call today, and let us put that knowledge to work for you and your family.